Tuesday, May 28, 2013

BBQ Jackfruit! (What's Jackfruit?)

Jackfruit
Noun
  1. A fast-growing tropical Asian tree (Artocarpus heterophyllus) of the mulberry family.
  2. The very large edible fruit of this tree, resembling a breadfruit and important as food in the tropics.

I use jackfruit in different ways. This recipe I had made last year. It was so good I made it again for Memorial weekend! May do the same for the Fourth of July! It really resembles shredded pork or beef. Even meat eaters like this recipe! That's the best thing a vegan can here!

BBQ Jackfruit

1 can Jackfruit in water 
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 - 1 c. favorite bbq sauce (I like my home made recipe)
water
mustard
favorite buns

-Drain the jackfruit and soak in a bowl in water for 10 minutes. (I know it comes in water but I like to get it cleaned out well)
-Drain the jackfruit again and squeeze out all water.
-In a non-stick skillet, add a thin layer of water and add garlic and jackfruit.
-Cook on medium heat and toss for about 5 minutes until water is evaporated.

---Ok...one of two things you can do at this step....

1. Transfer jackfruit in crock pot on low for 1 to 1 1/4 hrs. May need to add a little more bbq sauce and a little water if starts to dry too much. You can start to shred the jackfruit after 1 hr.

OR

2. Transfer jackfruit in a saucepan and simmer on low for 1/2 hr. May need to add a little more bbq sauce and a little water if starts to dry too much. You can start to shred the jackfruit after 1/2 hr.  

TIP:(Don't over do it with bbq sauce. It may mush up.)

Serve on your favorite buns!











2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried jackfruit yet, but have two cans sitting in my cupboard. This might be a good way to get introduced. And I love that you cook it in a slow cooker. Quick and easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is a good introduction to jackfruit! My meat eaters really enjoyed this dish! I hope you enjoy it too! Thanks

      Delete